free plugins for techies & musigners this month.
I am still on the run with the installation of our future studio. It's gonna be legen... wait for it... dary. well I hope so. We're putting so much effort into it. I can't wait to tell you more... but I have to be quiet. I'll tell you everything very soon & post some photos of the place. I hardly sleep these days for we have a lot to do & started a new animation movie, the audio production of an EP for our publisher... we are very busy.
On the audio side, free plugins were born this month, so please welcome the newscomers :
The DrumTasteFree is a Rick Marotta Signature Hipgig drum set with Paiste cymbals with the following features :
• 80Mo of samples recorded at 16 bits, 44.1khz.
• Custom mapping, you can assign every element to any key from the interface.
• Mappings presets: GM, V-DRUMS, IMAP, NSKIT (NDK) or default one.
• cc# controlled Hihat that features automatic closing sound.
• 2 Cycle round robins.
• Sensitivity button to adjust the response.
• Detailed instruments : 6 velocity layers per round robin.
• Kontakt 2 or superior, ESX24 and SFZ.
Acousticsamples adds that you can do and send your own mapping so they can add it to the downloads !
More info here.
Brainworx have updated their must have plugin bx_cleansweep, it is now in V2, but it's still free !
Did I tell you I love it ?
bx_cleansweep is a new Hi-Pass filter and Lo-Pass filter plug-in from Brainworx, introducing the new " Anti Crush Technology ".
Analog style filter curves without the typical Nyquist problems, in a new great sounding filter design (taken from our pro mastering EQ bx_digital V2!).
First order filters (6 dB) guarantee an extremely musically sounding filter set, and unique joystick control (taken from bx_hybrid) gives you fast and intuitive control.
bx_cleansweep is the plugin that should go into EVERY mix channel as the first plugin.
This way you can filter out any unwanted hi-end and lo-end, and the result is a clean and tight mix.
Ever thought about why there are Hi-Pass and Lo-Pass filter in EVERY channel of the most expensive analog consoles (SSL, NEVE, etc.), but why most EQs are missing this feature ?
Clever shortcuts (Alt/Shift/Ctrl) allow for detailed control over the X-axis and Y-axis of the joystick, and the EQ knobs can be set to precision mode by shift-click as well.
You can download it here.
SPAN is a real-time " fast Fourier transform " audio spectrum analyzer plug-in for professional music and audio production applications. For the most part it was derived from Voxengo GlissEQ dynamic parametric equalizer and reproduces its spectrum analysis functionality.
For now it's only available for AU & VST for Mac users, so you can not use it with Protools unfortunately but it might be useful for many people.
By the way, they also have plenty of other free plugins here.
BigTick Audio has released his free virtual instruments set & his free plugins this month. It was previously a paying suite, it is now graciously offered, wow ! All you have to do is to register to download them ! Nice isn't it ?
You have now :
• TickyClav : a Clavinet Emulator
• Cheeze Machine : a String Ensemble Synth
• EP-Station : a FM Electric Piano
• Effects Pack Various sound mangling stuff
• Rainbow : Antique vsti
• Angelina : Angelina Choir Synth
Note : for Mac users, you'll only have TickyClav & Cheeze Machine but still...
Don't hesitate to try Rhino which is a great sounding virtual synth too!
Register to download here.
As usual now, I am really interested in SoundProvocation products. They've just released Ethnic Bagpipe. They don't make free plugins but look, it is very affordable, the introductory price is 9,99 € instead of 19,99 €. Sound is nice, unusual & easy to use with ESX 24 & Kontakt. Another virtual instrument to buy very soon.
"ETHNIC BAGPIPE" is a sampler instrument, made from an authentic Baltic bagpipe.
• Two tonalities - C and D.
• Diapason: one octave + drone.
• Two articulations, selectable by keyboard velocity.
• Recorded multiple samples to recreate natural feel of the instrument.
• Each note of the articulation presented has 9 variations.
• Every time you press a single note, you will hear a different variation.
• There are 193 samples total recorded.
• As bagpipe can play continuously, all samples in this instrument are precisely looped.
• The sound is pure - you can add your favorite reverb or other preferable effects.
• Dedicated to: folk, neo-folk music composers, movie, theatre soundtrack producers and composers with special needs to add something unordinary and extra natural to their creations.
More info here.
Not really free plugins but very useful tools for composers & sound designers, well, it seemed to me really obvious to talk about it this month... version 2 of Evolve Mutations has arrived ! I've just listened the demos, I should say I've been blown away. It seems to fit to many genres, tempi & it's quite sounding. Price is fair : 99 €. I will certainly put it in my cart next month.
EVOLVE MUTATIONS 2 takes audio-visual sound design to the next level, bringing 2 GB of new and original sounds for composers of film and TV scores, game sound designers and music producers seeking unique effects and textures. Split into four useful categories, EVOLVE MUTATIONS 2 delivers powerful and dramatic content in a highly convenient package. Created by working pros in the film TV and games industry, EVOLVE MUTATIONS 2 also contains the debut of the incredible new Trigger FX feature for effortless and inspiring transformations.
More information here.
That's all for today !
Go from free plugins - March 2010 to music composition ?
Return from free plugins - March 2010 to Home ?