Hi there !
In this page I just give you some clues to import soundfont in ProTools.
In fact, I just give you a method to convert a free soundfont (SF2 file) to Kontakt format (NKI file) so that you can use & import your sound in Structure Free. You must do that if you want to import soundfont in Protools, because, as far as I know there is no free soundfont player for Protools (Native Instruments - Kontakt or Propellerhead - Reason are RTAS compatible & can play soundfonts smoothly but are commercial and my students have no money).
That said, to import soundfont in ProTools, what you have to do is quite simple :
- download the demo version for mac of CDXtract
- run the installer package
- after that, CDXtract is available in your Applications folder and you're ready to use it
- launch CDXtract
- you should see at the top left of the window a button "Soundfont"
- click on that button
- you can now navigate from the browser on your left to locate the SF2 you want to convert to NKI
- once you've done, click the "save" button at the bottom of the "bank" column
- a window pops up with many options
- select the Kontakt format as output format by clicking the Kontakt tab (you should see many output sampler formats, so be sure to select the good one)
- the CDXtract demo version only allows you to convert the first program of the bank or of the sample library, so you'll have to repeat this process with any single soundfont, that's the annoying part, moreover you don't have access to all the great features of this tool, but still, this method is completely free, so don't ask too much at a time...
- ok now, just launch your ProTools, be sure you've already installed Structure Free
- you can now easily import your newly created NKI instrument in your Structure Free
- that's it !
- you can now download free soundfonts and import them directly into ProTools, and the cool thing is that's legal & didn't cost you a dime !
So ? what you think ? Share with us about this article and leave your comments...
Click below to see contributions from other visitors to this page...